Greg Helledy on 2 Aug 2016 15:44:42 -0700

[PLUG] update took out display resolutions, system ignores xorg.conf

I've been using Linux Mint 17 (Ubuntu 14.04 derivative) in a VirtualBox VM for years. Yesterday I ran an update (apt-get update, apt-get upgrade -u).

On reboot, the system no longer has any X resolutions other than 640X480. Poking around doesn't reveal where the list of resolutions is kept, there is no xorg.conf.

I found this Mint-specific page about how to create one, dutifully follow it, and...nothing.
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/877

The system ignores the existence of /etc/X11/xorg.conf It's not user-specific, I created another user and I only have the choice of 640X480 there as well.

I do have the VirtualBox addons installed, and the update did include a kernel update (4.4.0-22-generic).

So, it's 2016 and I still can't update my computer without wondering whether it will work afterwards.

Any suggestions on what to do at this point? Is there some other secret hidden file that controls what resolutions are available?

--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated