Greg Helledy on 3 Aug 2016 10:07:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] update took out display resolutions, system ignores xorg.conf

If you haven't blown your VM away already, an update to Mint 18 might
fix your issues. Worth a shot before you give up, anyways.

That's a wonderful idea, Rich. I may do that, there are a few reasons I wouldn't: I want the VM at work to be the same OS I use at home. I may not be using Mint at home after version 17, for a couple of reasons: 1. Ubuntu isn't supporting AMD's Radeon drivers and apparently it would be a major hack job to get them working. 2. Apparently, they're also not supporting anything but systemd.

An FYI for others who don't care about Radeon graphics or systemd,
Mint's upgrade tool doesn't work on the KDE edition--upgrading Mint 17
KDE is not supported:

The upgrade tool only upgrades Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce
edition.

The KDE edition isn't upgradable (Linux Mint 18 KDE will use a new
and different desktop called Plasma).

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2316

I've come to like Trinity (the KDE3 fork) and prefer it to "factory" KDE going forward, but my home desktop, a backup laptop and my VM are all running KDE editions of Mint, so I'm kind of stuck there.

--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated