Lee H. Marzke on 12 Aug 2016 13:29:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] BTRFS RAID massively broken

Stephen,

My home office systems are quite bit bigger, so not sure I can help with suggestions.

I have 2 dedicated units for storage

I have a old Thecus N8800 rackmount unit running Linux with 8 x 3TB drives,  XFS  RAID-10
this is mostly targeted for tier-3 backup.  Unit not great at running VM's along with any
sequential access ( such as a copy / migrate ),  so I only use it now for backup of the
unit below and storing laptop image backups, etc.

And a homebuilt NAS, with Dell 2950 rackmount with 32GB RAM, with 6 x 2TB  SAS (3 mirrors) and
2 x 80GB Intel SSD for  ZFS  Slog and L2ARC.  This unit is running FreeNAS (on BSD)
This runs multiple VM's in an vSphere 6 lab cluster.  FreeNAS runs from USB stick.
The performance of this unit far exceeds any local server disks or the Thecus.

There is a page here about building the NAS storage:
http://plone.4aero.com/Members/lmarzke/howto/zfs2950/zfs-storage-on-dell-2950-project

The unit was built first using SmartOS, but I later converted it to FreeNAS.  ( It needs to boot
from USB so all 6 drives are usable for the array , and both SmartOS and FreeNAS
are designed to do this without burning out the Flash stick.   FreeNAS is VMware VAAI complient
as well.

Lee