Matt Mossholder on 24 Aug 2016 12:06:09 -0700

Re: [PLUG] RAID6 or RAID5+HS?

I thought that was only true in muti-chip Opteron setups.  Since the memory controller is integrated into the CPU, you need to talk CPU-to-CPU to get at memory that is attached to the other CPU's memory controller...

    --Matt

     --Matt

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Keith C. Perry
<kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:

> Sound like the its just a matter of vendor not making 2 way or 4 way NUMA boards for consumer chips.  Could be some other details we're missing too.

Actually, what I'm saying is that if you have an AMD chip in the PC
you're typing this on, it IS a NUMA system if it has multiple cores.
Regions of RAM will operate more or less quickly depending on which
core accesses them.  AMD chips tend to be NUMA by design.

If that has changed I'm all ears, but you don't need a special
motherboard to have a NUMA AMD64 system.  You basically don't get a
choice in it.  If the kernel doesn't take that into account, then
software will run slightly slower since it might run on cores that
aren't optimized for the region of memory their data is stored in.

--
Rich