Rich Freeman on 12 Sep 2016 07:44:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Cannot install grub

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Eric H. Johnson
<ejohnson@camalytics.com> wrote:

> I am going to try to install by breaking the volumes spanned In the BIOS and see if I can install to a single physical drive.

Keep in mind that some firmware tricks for implementing RAID-like
capabilities like these are often not implemented entirely in
hardware.  That means they assume that the OS does things in a certain
way.  If the OS doesn't access the drives in the manner it is
expecting, then things can break.

If you want to span two drives I think it would be a LOT safer to just
do it in LVM.  With LVM you could probably mount a drive formatted 20
years ago without issue.  Good luck getting those spanned drives to
work if your motherboard needs replacement if you're using firmware
tricks.  The same is doubly-true of RAID.  mdadm not only is robust
with lots of backwards compatibility, but it is also a lot more
flexible around reconfiguring the array while it is online.

I have no idea what is going wrong, but I suspect that linux is simply
incompatible with how your firmware is doing things.  The vendor may
not have even tested this feature under linux.

--
Rich