bergman on 13 Sep 2016 15:23:43 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Android Tablet for Note Taking

In the message dated: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 18:03:21 -0400,
The pithy ruminations from Casey Bralla on
<[PLUG] Android Tablet for Note Taking> were:
=> Can anyone may a recommendation for an android note-taking tablet?

I hear the Samsung Galaxy 7 is pretty hot these days. :)

=>
=> I typically use a steno pad (6x9) to take notes at work, but I
=> often lose the steno pad, or take notes out of date order.  Naturally,
=> these notes are stuck as paper and not indexable.  A friend uses an
=> expensive iPad with a stylus to take notes.  it automatically converts
=> his hand-printed text into "actual" fonts and stores it.
=>
=> I'm assuming there is an equivalent android app for this, but I'm not sure.

Yes. However, to have decent handwriting recognition you really, really need more than
just an app and a generic stylus.

I've got an older Samsung Galaxy Note 8, and the combination of the pressure-sensitive
digitizer and either the Samsung apps or the excellent Stylus Beta app (which provides
pen-based handwriting recognition to any app that uses an on-screen keyboard) makes for
very usable note taking. The hardware side -- a real digitizer & pen, not simply using a
stylus in place of swiping with your finger -- is key.

However...it's still not as fast/accurate/easy as the analog method of applying pen to
paper.

Mark

=>
=> Is this a feasible on an Android?  Has anybody ever done this?  How do you take notes at work?
=>
=> TIA
=> --
=>
=> Casey Bralla
=>
=> Chief Nerd in Residence
=> The NerdWord Organisation
=> http://www.NerdWorld.org
=>
=> Philadelphia Linux Users Group         --        http://www.phillylinux.org
=>
--
Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, SCUBA Diver, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1 Stagehand
'94 Yamaha GTS1000A^2					      2015 Aprilia Caponord

http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=bergman%40panix.com

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
15+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman