Michael Toren on 14 Sep 2016 11:42:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Replacement mailing list idea

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 09:43:25AM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 6:44 AM, Eric Lucas <eric@lucii.org> wrote:
> the current hosting is done by MCT - who moved to San Francisco over
> a decade ago. He'd like us to move off of his server

Huh. Hadn't realized it was that long ago. I used to help out, sending
the meeting announcements even longer ago than that ...

I know, right!? :-) (It's been nine years since I moved, but close enough.)

I think there are two viable paths forward: (1) Migrate the list to someone else who already has a running mailman configuration, or (2) Migrate to a VM that multiple people have access to. DigitalOcean offers VMs that are only $5/month, which would be more than powerful enough for this application. I like the latter option because it provides more flexibility for the future, and isn't dependent on a single person. PLUG could also host its own DNS and website there, too, if it wanted.

But it shouldn't be up to me. :-) Either solution is fine from my point of view. Discuss amongst yourselves and let me know what the group consensus is. Walt, can you let me know when that happens?

Thanks!

Missing PLUG,

~mct