K.S. Bhaskar on 28 Sep 2016 07:32:28 -0700

Re: [PLUG] EPIC

Just a couple of bits' worth of my opinion, since I have been peripherally active in the EHR world (I manage FIS GT.M - http://fis-gtm.com / apt-get install fis-gtm on Debian/Ubuntu - which is widely used in electronic health records, including what is to the best of my knowledge the largest VistA deployment in the world - not the VA, who think taxpayer millions should be spent on a proprietary alternative; I also co-founded WorldVistA - http://worldvista.org - a 501(c)(3) non-profit with a goal of affordable healthcare IT worldwide, and served on the Board for a number of years).

GT.M is an implementation of MUMPS (Massachusetts General Hospital Utility Multiprogramming System), which was developed for use in healthcare, and remains widely used: two of the three major EHR systems, VistA and Epic, are MUMPS based, while the third (Cerner) is not. Of these, to the best of my knowledge, only Epic and VistA have had articles published in peer-reviewed medical journals demonstrating improvement in outcomes from the use of the EHR systems. [I am not a doctor; this is what doctor friends have told me.]

MUMPS is also widely used outside EHR systems, e.g., Quest and LabCorp are users. There are two major vendors of MUMPS, one proprietary (and which has exorcised the word MUMPS from its vocabulary, but is basically an implementation of MUMPS) and GT.M (we're not afraid of the name, and I used to hand out "got mumps?" caps). GT.M is also widely used outside healthcare, in banking (where it currently runs the three or four largest real-time core-banking systems in daily production use anywhere in the world) as well as many other applications.

Although MUMPS is a pretty simple procedural language, modern healthcare is an incredibly complex undertaking, and the complexity of EHR systems derives from the complexity of the healthcare processes that they need to support. Furthermore, the long life of these systems (some of them have their roots in the 1970s and 1980s), means that some of the code programmers work with was originally coded in a style that we would today consider archaic, and the style has evolved. You can't replace the code wholesale, just as you can't replace the streets of old cities wholesale even though many of them evolved around horse-drawn wagons rather than automobiles. So, if you go to sites like the daily wtf, you will see rants about MUMPS, about Epic, about VistA, and related software. These tend to come from programmers who don't appreciate that the complexity of the software flows from the complexity of the application domain.

I personally have mixed feelings about EHR software. Pre-EHR, my former primary care doctor used to look at me during office visits; post-EHR, she kept focussing on her laptop and made less eye contact (though I think the care I received was equally good). On the other hand, I was in the coronary ICU when my father came out of open-heart surgery some years ago, and as a software developer, I could truly appreciate how well the user interface of the Epic application matched the workflow of the nurse. The match to the application need was impressively seamless, despite being a Visual Basic thick client.

Feel free to send any questions / comments my way, either on- or off-list.

Regards
-- Bhaskar