Keith C. Perry on 9 Oct 2016 08:15:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Summary Re: Read only USB drive

"Software tricks might be an interesting. Did you mean host-side, or
tweaking the USB drive boot sector bits?  I’d be most interested in
the latter, it is an area I know very little of."

To expand on this a bit, yes, these would be a device tweaks.  The two methods I have seen are:

1) Adjusting the file partition blocks to be greater than the device blocks

This was my best interpretation of what I was seeing.  There may be a proper name for the technique.

For example, you could write a 4Gb filesystem to a 6Gb partition on an 8Gb device.  Once everything is set, you change the partition size from 6Gb to  9Gb.  This results in an error on a write or any file system modification.  I'm pretty sure you have to do this with a expert tool like sfdisk or equivalent because anything else will naturally generate errors during sanity checks.  I haven't encountered this method in awhile and I've only personally fixed the problem to restore write access to a USB stick.

2) Writing ISOs to USB (i.e. Hybrid disks et al)

This more updated method occurs by the nature of ISO images can be detected on USB media on modern BIOSs.  It seems that the USB device boot type just looks at the device header information instead to assuming it because of the type of USB device selected .  Specifically, the ISO image should identify as a closed session orange book (cd-rom) media so that the core file system is read only.  I used to re-author Slax CD's for Linux router builds and this was a way to make sure that file system would never be critically modified as well as be a way to bring up another router on any properly equipped device with just a boot CD (Slax also could boot to RAM so the CD's lived in their bays so I knew where they were at all times).

I say "core" file system because Slax used aufs and I think now overlayfs which is the preferred method.  Either gives you the benefit of having some run-time write access to the file system in the way you mentioned above for metadata.  I don't remember if I ever burned a re-auth'd Slax disk to a USB stick so I'm not sure if it would work but I don't see why not.

These days my experience with read-only USB drives is in re-authoring distro installs onto a single flash drive so I don't have to burn and carry a bunch of disks.  Plus its increasingly likely for desktop and server systems to not have optical drives so I was carrying both anyway.  USB devices are getting pretty big for cheap (I have a 256Gb unit from Microcenter and it was less than $75) so have a locked USB system is becoming an attractive idea.

Hope this helps.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033