Greg Helledy on 18 Oct 2016 09:55:31 -0700

[PLUG] spamassassin help: create a rule to score by sender TLD

I want to keep users' spam levels down. I was going through mail processing logs and I noticed that mails that come from certain TLDs are quite likely to be spam--people are unlikely to have legitimate mails from these domains.

I know how to blacklist a domain, but I don't want to be that blunt, I'd rather just increase its spam score so that it will be caught that way, if appropriate. I've poked around and the way to do that is less than clear...in particular, Spamassassin seems to reside in different locations depending on what OS it's running under.

So, how can I create a rule that assigns a score of 1.0 if the sender is in the .biz TLD? I'd like to do this for my (system) user, not make a systemwide change. What file do I edit and what does the rule say?

I am on CentOS 6.
Apache Version 	2.2.26
Kernel Version 	2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.x86_64

If you've done something similar, are there other problematic domains that seem to generate a lot of spam and are unlikely to house legitimate mail senders? I will stay away from the country-based ones because we do get mail from foreign contacts. It's more the new TLDs I'm worried about... .xyz is another one I noticed and would probably score.

Thanks,

--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated