Jan Deruiter on 18 Oct 2016 12:38:01 -0700

[PLUG] Creating a customized ISO or preseeding script (for a good cause)

My non profit refurbishes donated computers which we gift to Phila. public schools for use in classrooms. http://phillykids.org

I am looking for a way that a 4th or 5th grader can install Xubuntu onto machines from a USB stick.

This by itself is easy enough but to make this work, I need to eliminate the manual post-installation steps needed to:
- create multiple accounts (admin, teacher, student)
- custom desktop screens for two of those accounts (school district requirement)
- add chromium
- flash plugin for firefox
- set energy settings (to put the machines to sleep and extend their lifespan)

I have consulted a lot of people but have come up empty thus far. School is in session and I am desperate to get going with this.

From what I understand, you can either:
- try to make an ISO from a machine (that is set up the way you like it)
- write an installation script using Kickstart or equivalent

I am not married to Xubuntu except it has a small footprint. Our machines are old, with little RAM and Xubuntu has done well for us thus far.

Our Board has technical expertise but limited with Linux.

If you are able to provide me with suggestions, advice, or a lending hand (we are a 501c3) that would be awesome.

Jan Deruiter
Philadelphia Children's Foundation