Thomas Delrue on 21 Oct 2016 08:36:20 -0700

Re: [PLUG] spamassassin help: create a rule to score by sender TLD

On 10/21/2016 10:36 AM, Keith C. Perry wrote:
> This whole thread is why I tell new people coming into the IT field
> that managing mail servers is around the most miserable thing we have
> to do...

Speaking of which, I've actually been wanting to run my own e-mail
server for a while but haven't found any good resources on how to
properly set it up. Does anyone have resources on that which they can share?

> ...other than fight with the wonderful world of the MS drones  :D

That's not a big deal, 90% of the time they are applying updates anyway.
So they just hang there in mid-air doing nothing (and that's if the
update process is going as expected)

> That said, Charlie said,
>
> "Furthermore, probably the easiest and most fruitful way to avoid
> getting spam at all (before it hits any filters or daemons you set
> up) is to just not post the raw email address anywhere on the web.
> Have obfuscated JavaScript generate the string instead, or use
> HTML/CSS's built-in right-to-left functionality to display it if you
> absolutely positively need to display the raw address."
>
> THAT...

I agree with the first bit: don't publish your e-mail address in a form
that is understandable by machines (see caveat below).
BUT I disagree with the second bit, you are breaking my Lynx... All
joking aside, you ARE breaking my internet by doing this though. What's
wrong with a 'contact us/me' form again? (But then again, anytime I hear
a solution containing "use Javascript/CSS", I just think to myself:
"instead of one problem, you now got two, mate")

> To go a step further.  Use role accounts, "throw-away" or "burnable"
> accounts for services when ever you can.

If anything *THIS* is the thing to do. When you get spammed on the role
account, just drop the account and stop using the site where you used
that site (they either got compromised or they sold your data).
In this day and age of address books and password managers (What a time
to be alive!), do you really want to use first.lastname@domain.tld
instead of a random_characters@domain.tld when signing up for whatever
the latest shiny bauble-site is which, for whatever dumb reason,
requires your e-mail address (...and your phone number 'for
verification', and access to your FB account, and your G+ account, and
the name of your first-born pet, and when and where you graduated, etc,
etc...)
If anything, just generate random string e-mail address aliases; *never*
use your real one (only give that to folks you really want to talk to)
and then put filters on your mailbox which look for the X-Orig-To header
to direct the flow.

BTW, if you use GMail, use the '+suffix'-trick to create distinct
addresses for each website you sign up for (or list your e-mail address on).
So if you have: something@gmail.com then you use
something+blah@gmail.com which will still be delivered to
first.last@gmail.com but be tagged (or something) so you know it was
sent to the +blah 'sub-alias'.

> You have to treat spam as a security issue.

Couldn't agree more.
For some reason, people just don't learn, continue to click on links
like "H0tt13 in your area l00k1ng for good sh4g, click here!!!!!!!" and
then complain that they got infected (that's a top-quality pun, right
there!).
After all, there must be some morons clicking on these links or we
wouldn't have spam, amirite?

...now where's my LART so I can go 'educate' some of my [l]users to not
click these bloody things?