Greg Helledy on 21 Oct 2016 14:10:57 -0700

Re: [PLUG] spamassassin help: create a rule to score by sender TLD

Have you considered that;
It is not the new TLD's that are flooding your users in boxes with spam?

Much of the spam has the new TLDs on it. By filtering those, I can eliminate it and make my people happy.

Have you spent the time and analized the IP numbers and actual
servers / isp's that are attacking you?

I don't have a lot of spare time. I have another job to do. If I find myself idle in the future maybe I'll revisit the issue.

You do understand that you have to have an IP number to send an email?

You do understand, as you yourself has two names per your one ip
number, that you can have a gazillion names on a single IP number?

Have you considered that the TLD's you are blocking may be the target
of a denial of service?

Why are you not thinking about punishing the actual senders of your
spam?

It's not my job to punish, I'm just filtering out crap. The new TLDs send us only crap.

have you instituted any dnsbl?

Yes, two. They eliminate a good chunk of spam. Filtering the new TLDs will get rid of much of the rest, although some do use .com. They will get the following message:

550 "The mail server detected your message as spam and has prevented delivery."

So, I'm providing a clear message to those whose emails are declined.

--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated