Thomas Delrue on 23 Oct 2016 12:22:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] spamassassin help: create a rule to score by sender TLD

On 10/23/2016 03:04 PM, ac wrote:
> So, just because I can say, with confidence that 1+1 = 2
> This does not mean that it proves that 1+4 = 7

I take offense, 1 + 1 = 3; but then again, my values of 1 are much
larger than yours.

> TLD's do not send email.
> An IP number does.

I find this to be a statement disturbingly close to "e-mails aren't sent
from a domain, they are sent from a host" which is factually correct but
misleading the conversation. It's muddying the waters, hiding the forest
behind the trees, if you will...

Some domains just happen to have a larger quantity of produced spam (or
probability to produce said spam) than others and it's perfectly fine if
you block those. I think everyone is on board with that part.
And similarly, some tlds (top level _DOMAINS_, see they're both domains,
they just are on different levels) contain more spammy hosts than others
(or have a higher probability of containing said type of hosts). And I
don't see why it wouldn't be OK blocking those.

I think what RSK is doing is just going one level up (from 2nd level
domain to top level domain) and making that decision on the level of
TLDs as well. And I also think that as recipient, he has the right to do
so. Please point me too the RFC that contains a "MUST" or "SHALL"
directive regarding receiving mail from just about anywhere... And while
you're at it, if you find it, please forward it to $SECURITY_COMPANY
which makes a mail filtering product.

> When you stand up and throw your weight behind any sill argument that
> it is okay to start blocking random names, what does this say about you
> and what you think and what you support?

What is the fundamental difference between blocking mails from *.tld and
mails from *.domain.tld or *.sub.domain.tld? I don't see a big
difference between these.

> You say you have been involved in the Internet since inception as well?
> I only received my first spam in 1986, so I am not asgrey as you are,
> and I am  not yet senile either.

Oh, we're waving genitals around now? Is that what we're doing?