Rich Mingin (PLUG) on 17 Nov 2016 12:56:38 -0800

Re: [PLUG] usb notification light

Well, the problem here is that USB isn't really intended to be more than power and data lines. There's no logic to talk to an LED directly, so unless you are planning on cycling the power to that port on and off "by hand", you're going to need some logic living between the port and the LED. There are lots of small ARM SBCs that could do this sort of thing easily for you, but you're looking at varying amounts of cost there. I've been thinking of setting up an RPi Zero to do exactly this sort of thing, but via multiple LEDs. Soldering is very likely to be involved, though. You had said 30$ seemed high and that you don't want to get your iron out, but what other criteria are you working from?