Rich Kulawiec on 18 Dec 2016 05:50:03 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Symlink Problem

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 03:41:57PM -0500, brent timothy saner wrote:
> On 12/14/2016 03:35 PM, Ronald P Guilmet wrote:
> > I know symlinks cannot span drives because of inodes, does that apply
> > here with a mount?
>
> This is false.

[snip]

Yep.  It's false.  A large part of the rationale for the introduction
of symlinks (in 4.2 BSD in 1983) was this limitation on (hard) links.
Keep in mind that disk sizes were much smaller then, and that circumstance
plus performance considerations often suggested that /, /usr, /usr/spool,
and so on should be kept in different partitions on different physical
drives on different controllers.  This made it impossible to link,
say, /etc/foo to /usr/etc/foo -- well, until symlinks came along.

---rsk