Rich Freeman on 13 Jan 2017 05:32:44 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Updated: shutdown 2.0-1

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 7:32 AM, Mike DePaulo <mikedep333@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 7:23 AM, Mike DePaulo <mikedep333@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> * Added --hybrid to shutdown in hybrid mode. Hybrid is the default
>> shutdown
>>   method with shutting down with the UI of Windows 8.x and higher.

Does it have an option to do a non-hybrid shutdown?  If so that
actually would be kind of useful since my last MB wouldn't prompt to
boot anything other than the hard drive if it was shut down in
hibernation, and having a way to shut down completely was sometimes
necessary.  (The workaround is to hit reboot instead and be quick on
the keyboard shortcut.)

> My friend didn't find the humor in this, so let me point it out:
> 1. The fact that the shutdown & reboot commands are their own package in
> Cygwin.

I wouldn't be surprised if some Linux distros do this.  Gentoo right
now can install shutdown from either sysvinit or systemd-sysv-utils
since we package both.  Granted, shutdown/reboot aren't the ONLY
things in the latter, but they're pretty close to that (I think in the
systemd case it is just a bunch of symlinks, and of course in the
sysvinit case these particular commands are also symlinks).

> 2. The fact that they include an option to install Windows updates.

In the case of less-traditional linux implementations like ChromeOS
that option actually might make sense (not that ChromeOS even bothers
to expose the command line or give you a choice).  Update-on-shutdown
could actually make a lot of sense for release+backport distros (for
the backports only, or releases only on confirmation).

> 3. The fact that they have to handle various shutdown APIs across different
> versions of Windows.

Uh, systemd anyone?  Granted, I suspect it still reacts to the old
telinit signals/etc but that really isn't the preferred API these
days.  :)

This is a bit more tangential, but as a bit of trivia the linux kernel
contains a laundry list of approaches it actually uses to turn off the
power on an x86 PC.  Presumably Windows internally contains something
similar.  You can probably find blogs on the topic which serve as an
interesting history lesson as there never has really been a "standard"
way to turn off a PC programatically.

I actually did find the post amusing as having a cygwin shutdown
command never really occurred to me.  However, at least some of the
stuff above actually doesn't seem all that unique to the Windows world
in light of the sysvinit->systemd transition in most distros.

--
Rich