Walt Mankowski on 3 Feb 2017 11:54:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] /. Microsoft Introduces GVFS (Git Virtual File System)

On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 12:57:55PM -0500, Thomas Delrue wrote:
> On 02/03/2017 12:24 PM, JP Vossen wrote:
> > Wow.  What I get out of this is that Windows is in git and git is
> > not scaling to it.
>
> That is a really weird (and unsubstantiated) conclusion you're making there.
> I don't think that this has got anything to do with git, it's got more
> to do with the underlying FS (ntfs) which is why they are flipping NTFS
> for GVFS. They may try to spin it as "git doesn't scale" but really,
> their solution shows where the real issue is more likely to be located.
>
> I'll just drop these things here: "Source Depot" & enlistme (<- that's
> my bona fide right there).
>
> I don't think that the windows source is in git at all (yet?)... but
> they may be experimenting with trying to get it in there. And it doesn't
> look like it's going well for them because they're patching and hacking
> themselves.

At my lab we use git on windows for some medium-sized projects and
have never had any performance issues. The numbers he quotes are
really insane. NTFS has a reputation as having good performance for
most uses, so it's hard to imaging that's the problem.  One area where
git doesn't scale on any platform is with binary files. Maybe that's
really their problem? Visual Studio projects tend to have lots of of
binary files. Also, 3 million files (which I assume is versions of
files) is an awful lot.