Steve Litt on 13 Mar 2017 15:54:56 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Avoid Arvixe at all costs!

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017 15:02:09 -0400
Greg Helledy <gregsonh@gra-inc.com> wrote:

> We dodged the bullet that had me write that panicked post a month
> ago. But now we are ready to make a move, at a more reasonable pace.
>
> I did get a recommendation for Panix, but they don't offer
> cPanel/WHM. We need a solution that can be administered by a
> technically-aware non-IT person (me) and operated by someone else
> using my instructions while I'm on vacation (if necessary).
>
> Is it possible to find a reliable VPS provider that offers its users:
>
> *linux hosting (CentOS is probably best, what we're used to)
> *cPanel/WHM, including csf (ConfigServer Firewall) and clamav
> *WordPress, plus ability to install the various addons
> *MySQL (support WordPress)
> *A dedicated IP address, must be able to supply one that's not on
> spam blacklists
> *Email (unlimited accounts) using dovecot, fully configurable by us.
> Must provide webmail interface (roundcube or horde).  MUST be able to
> have outgoing mail sent from our domain with our private IP (not
> routed through their server).
> *Website statistics report (AWStats)
> *Ability to do granular backup/restores (individual
> directories/files), at more than just overnight interval (this can be
> an extra-cost option). *Ability to add/remove subdomains
>
> These are all things Arvixe offers, they just struggle to deliver on.
> Finally, if they're good at migrating existing setups, that's a big
> plus.
>
> Thanks,

You've specified the distro, the pop/imap server, the webmail program,
the web stats program, and specifications on backup, before you even get
into uptime, and quality and form of tech support. This sounds a lot
like those job descriptions that never get filled because no competent
programmer possesses all the skills.

If you really want to specify all of this, why not rent a VM and run it
yourself? Have a competent admin/security expert help you perform the
initial setup, document the hows and whys of that setup, paying
particular attention to security and the firewall, and run it yourself
from then on.

Otherwise, I fear you'll get what you got the last time: The
incompetent who says he has all the prerequisites. There are a lot of
them out there.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb