Rich Freeman on 6 Apr 2017 11:18:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Whine: KDE (Was Canonical dropping Unity)

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Greg Helledy <gregsonh@gra-inc.com> wrote:
> Whenever people bring up KDE, the KDE 3-->4 switch, and KDE's
> resource-intensiveness, I have to bring up Trinity.  It is a fork of the KDE
> 3 code.

Nothing against Trinity.  It just wasn't always available as an option
while everybody was going through the pain.  By the time it had taken
off I think I was already on xfce.

For a while I think people just assumed kde4 would quickly iron out
the issues so there wasn't that huge incentive to fork 3.5.  Also,
some distros probably kept 3.5 around longer, creating less demand.
Gentoo is fairly quick to follow upstream on this stuff (might be good
or bad depending on your perspective, that's just the way Gentoo is).

--
Rich