Michael Lazin on 6 Apr 2017 19:38:02 -0700

Re: [PLUG] slightly OT, learning cisco, serial cable

I ordered the cable from amazon but if you have some lurking I'm in university city and could meet you.  I remembered a colleague suggested i buy a udemy ccna course last year which i never got around to and found my payment is good for this year's course too and now I'll have more motivation because I have actual gear.  Thanks

On Apr 6, 2017 10:31 PM, "Keith C. Perry" <kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:
Which variant do you need the just the DB9 or do you need the USB serial converter too?

For reference:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/462007/6_ft_RJ45_to_DB9_Cisco_Console_Management_Router_Cable_-_M-F
http://www.microcenter.com/product/335176/USB_to_Serial_Converter

I gave away most of my Cisco gear but I might have some cables lurking.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.

From: "Michael Lazin" <microlaser@gmail.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:56:20 PM
Subject: [PLUG] slightly OT, learning cisco, serial cable

I am the proud new owner of a cisco switch and router that were up for grabs on this list.  I got them so I can learn the os because I am always interested in learning new things.  I also thought I'd let my girlfriend play around with it because she has some interest in networking.  I googled how to connect to it and apparently you need a cable to connect the ethernet port to the serial port on your PC.  If it's not to presumptuous is there anyone in the university city area that might have such a cable for cheap or for free?
Also, does anyone have suggestions on resources on learning more about this gear?  I found some documentation on using minicom on ubuntu to connect so that will be my starting point.  Thanks,

Michael Lazin

--
Michael Lazin

to gar auto estin noein te kai ennai