Casey Bralla on 18 Apr 2017 18:39:57 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Alternative to Gentoo?

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:56:11 PM EDT Robert wrote:
> On 04/18/2017 06:31 PM, Casey Bralla wrote:
> > I'm a long-time Gentoo user, but in partnership with KDE, it's broken my
> > heart too many times.  I don't blame Gentoo itself, but I _ALWAYS_ have
> > problems with KDE under Gentoo, whether I run the Stable or bleeding edge
> > versions.
> What issues are/were you having with Gentoo and KDE?  I too have had
> issues with this but
> I have found that the issue was my system being too old +10 yrs.

Here are some of the problems I've faced recently:
- kwallet not recognized (effected the stable version, but fixed in the
bleeding edge)
- HP Scanner not recognized, but used to work
- Laptop locks up when Firefox is used
- Laptop (different one) stalls in mid-startup of KDE
- Screen "flashes" when multiple desktops used on nouveau driver
- KOrganizer defaults to european time format, despite setting to en_US
locale.

Lots of these problems may be caused because I run my own monolithic kernel
and I run as root.   Maybe I'd have another set of goofy problems if I ran
Kubuntu or Arch.  I definitely am not your normal Joe-user.

The worts part is that I really like Gentoo BECAUSE I get to fix problems
(which is where the fun comes from, for me).   So I really am just whining and
want it both ways.   I want it to "just work", but I want to have a series of
problems that I have to solve.  <sigh>

Of course, whining about how it doesn't work and experimenting with other
distro's is also fun!

> > What would you recommend as an alternative?
>
> If you really like Gentoo you might take a look at Sabayon.  It is a
> binary build so you are not
> required to build from source. I run this on my laptop now and haven't
> had any issues with it.

I tried Sabayon a few years ago.   I like Gentoo's openrc system and
configuration files, so I may give Sabayon a try again.

--

Casey Bralla