Jim Barrett on 4 May 2017 14:09:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Network Content Filtering

You could use a transparent proxy with squid, and dansguardian. This would require a server with 2 nic cards. If you're already using a linux box as a router, then the transparent proxy could be integrated into it.

Force all DNS traffic to a local DNS server (easy to do if all your boxes are configured through DHCP), and deny outbound dns traffic from the inside LAN (but allow the local DNS server to talk to outside). Create persistent local DNS records to point all known pornography site hostnames to localhost, or to a local server, maybe with a splash page that says something like "no"... I don't know of any "NSFW-site" lists out there but I'd be shocked if there wasn't a relatively inclusive list available somewhere online. This would prevent most "smut-only" sites from coming up, but then there's reddit, imgur, and other sites that have NSFW content as well as regular SFW content. For that you'd need to implement the MITM that Bill mentioned.

As a side note, there was a "Mike's Ad-blocking hosts file" that I've used in the past, and it did a *very* good job of blocking about 95% of ads on just about every site I visited. Here's something similar: http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/ ... It could easily be converted into a DNS zone file, using a perl script called h2n, https://github.com/tbrowder/h2n

--
Jim Barrett
Galloway, NJ