Rich Mingin (PLUG) on 17 May 2017 21:08:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] What's the best way to share a partition between windows and linux in 2017?

I've been using exFat on most of my sd cards and pure-data (not bootable OS) USB drives for quite some time (years?). It hits a good middle ground of being widely supported and fairly simple. Not sure what the legal status is, but I don't worry about it too much. If it's in most every distro's repos now, it must have been legally reviewed at some point.

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Charlie Li <ml+PLUG@vishwin.info> wrote:
On 17/05/2017 14:36, prushik wrote:
> I got one question. Since when does exfat work well in linux? It was my
> understanding that exfat was never going to happen due to ultra secret
> specifications and patents and various legal issues limiting reverse
> engineering. Has any of that changed? How is the linux exfat driver
> implemented?

There is a FUSE implementation of exFAT. Some of my SD cards use the
exFAT filesystem and the FUSE implementation works well.

--
Charlie Li
IRC is old school social media before it had a silly name. --JonathanD

replace local-part with vishwin for off-list communication)