Rich Freeman on 21 May 2017 12:09:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Run VirtualBox on a VPS?

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:

>> I suspect containers might also be an approach you could take, though
>> this might depend on availability of cgroup namespaces.  If your host
>> isn't all that powerful a container would use a lot less of your
>> limited resources anyway, especially RAM.
>
> I run multiple different servers:  apache (multiple sites on the same instance
> of apache), IMAP, SMTP, BIND, and a misc.   I could run all these on the same
> virtual machine, but I like the idea of having them separate so I can rebuild/
> revise any one of them without impacting the others.   I realize that this
> creates a lot of additional overhead on the overall server, but my load has
> been so low, this works even for a server with minimal RAM.

You would get all of these benefits from containers.

> Also, I don't know anything about "containers", so it would make migration
> from my existing server to the hosted server a lot simpler if I can simply
> rebuild each individual VM one by one on the new hosted server.

Certainly it would be a bit simpler if you could just run the same VM
environment that you already have.

However, to run these hosts in a container you probably just need to
create a tarball of their filesystems.  If you want to run them in
different network namespaces with their own IPs/etc you'd probably
also want to have a container-aware service manager (basically systemd
at this point).  If you set them up under docker you could probably
avoid that, but I'm not sure how straightfoward that would end up
being if you're not familiar with containers.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend running containers in a production
situation without learning a bit more about them.  If something goes
wrong you don't want it to just be black magic.  Sure, you can deploy
a debian box with a line or two if you're using docker, but that
doesn't mean that you really know what is going on...

--
Rich