Casey Bralla on 21 May 2017 11:53:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Run VirtualBox on a VPS?

On Sunday, May 21, 2017 12:15:14 PM EDT Rich Freeman wrote:
> >> I want to run multiple virtual servers...
>
> I suspect containers might also be an approach you could take, though
> this might depend on availability of cgroup namespaces.  If your host
> isn't all that powerful a container would use a lot less of your
> limited resources anyway, especially RAM.

I run multiple different servers:  apache (multiple sites on the same instance
of apache), IMAP, SMTP, BIND, and a misc.   I could run all these on the same
virtual machine, but I like the idea of having them separate so I can rebuild/
revise any one of them without impacting the others.   I realize that this
creates a lot of additional overhead on the overall server, but my load has
been so low, this works even for a server with minimal RAM.

Also, I don't know anything about "containers", so it would make migration
from my existing server to the hosted server a lot simpler if I can simply
rebuild each individual VM one by one on the new hosted server.

--

Casey Bralla