JP Vossen on 31 May 2017 21:07:23 -0700

[PLUG] Mint-18.1 NetworkManager issues

I've built a brand new install Mint-18.1 (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS/systemd) VM under VBox for work. I have 2 NICS, enp0s3 is the NAT to $WORK VPN via $WORK Windows laptop. enp0s8 is bridged to my LAN, so I can do backups and LAN stuff.

NetworkManager *insists* on adding 2 default routes!!! WTF! I assume that's because both DHCP servers (VBox and real on LAN) pass out default routes, but it's just hugely stupid that it blindly puts in both. Not only that, but it periodically puts them BACK after I fix it, presumably when DHCP leases renew.

I've added the following to both '/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/enp0s?' but nothing has changed. I did it via the GUI and I did not `sudo service network-manager reload` until just now, because assumed doing things via the GUI would work right.
    ignore-auto-routes=true
    never-default=true

I've Googled (well, StartPaged) and found nothing useful. Can anyone tell me how to get NM to stop being so stupid? I can hack it with a cron job or something, but that's just ugly and wrong.

Related, how the bleeping hell do you figure out what DNS servers it's using? '/etc/resolv.conf' has the useless "nameserver 127.0.1.1" garbage, and since both DHCP servers serve up DNS, half the time the machine can't resolve stuff on the $WORK VPN since it's arbitrarily and unilaterally using LAN DNS servers at the moment. I think. I have no real idea--because I can't figure out what the hell DNS it's using...

Wow, OK, I found that one but 98% of the answers I found were completely wrong either because they just are or because they answered totally different questions. The actual answer was:
    nmcli dev show | grep 'DNS'

Which I might refine to:
    nmcli dev show | awk '/DNS/ {print $2}'
nmcli dev show | awk '/DNS/ {print $2}' | sort -u -n -t. -k1,1 -k2,2 -k3,3 -k4,4

I've hacked around THAT issue by putting hard-coded $WORK DNS into `sudo vi /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head`, but that's ugly. I tried adding them to the '/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/enp0s?' files but that just ADDED more servers and didn't remove the ones I didn't want.

I'm getting ready to just nuke both resolveconf and NM and just do things the old fashioned way that is transparent and you know--actually works. But I figured one last time to get the newfangled (opaque, overly complicated, overly monolithic crap that doesn't actually work right) to...work.

Hmmmm, (2015) Why you shouldn't hate and disable NetworkManager anymore
	https://www.hogarthuk.com/?q=node/8

As a side note, it had also somehow decided out thin air that having "autoconnect-priority=-999" for the critical and mandatory enp0s3 was a Good Idea. It was not and I have deleted that.

Thanks in advance,
JP