Rich Mingin (PLUG) on 8 Jun 2017 21:14:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Suggestions for replacement of android phone: small, privacy-respecting, T-Mobile?

Linked thread is from 2014. Talks about upcoming iOS 8 (current is 10.3). While it’s true that your device has to support Wifi calling, it’s not true that it needs to be a T-Mobile branded handset.

The Nexus phones and iPhones are officially endorsed and supported for wifi calling. Most newer Android handsets also have the needed software. If your phone supports wifi calling, T-Mobile will enable it. T-Mo specific software is no longer required.

Your BT tethering story is familiar. The older plans (Simple Choice and the prepaid plans) did specifically forbid tethering of any kind and the phone would generally honor the provisioning flag telling it not to offer tethering. That said, the T-Mobile One plan, the only one T-Mo is currently advertising and pushing, does specifically allow tethering of all kinds without restriction. If you were to switch to a One plan, your S6 and Grand Prime would allow tethering via BT and wifi at low speed without other limitations.