Walt Mankowski on 9 Jun 2017 11:54:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Older versions of Skype being retired--bad news for linux users

On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 02:23:05PM -0400, Thomas Delrue wrote:
> On 06/09/2017 02:14 PM, prushik wrote:
> > Sounds good to me. Good riddance, [...snip...]. Now nobody can argue
> > with me when I refuse to use Skype.
>
> Right on! If I want my conversations to be recorded and processed, I'll
> do that myself, thankyouverymuch.

The problem, of course, is that you need both ends of the conversation
to be using the same software. Like it or not, Skype has become the
de facto standard for video calls. It runs on most desktop and mobile
platforms, and you can generally rely on non-techies to have it
installed. At Drexel we used it all the time to communicate with our
collaborators around the world.

Does Jitsi support screen sharing? If so, how well does it work on
32-bit linux boxes with less than 2 GB of RAM?

Walt