Keith C. Perry on 1 Jul 2017 15:22:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Guest Wi-Fi

In addition to Brents excellent points the other thing to keep in mind is that wifi... really any low power rf communication system operates best with more nodes running at low powers that with less units running at higher powers.

The physics of rf communications is about antennae (being heard) and not power (how loud you are speaking).

Practically speaking, my rule of thumb is 1dBm / m in open air.  The more units you have, the less power you need to run but the important thing is to tune your wireless network to your particular environment.  Your devices will hear each other better in the long run if you go through an iterative process to get the performance dialed in.

Also note that although 1,6,11 are the best channels to use on 2.4Ghz because they do not overlap at 20Mhz channel widths, ALL channels in the US 5Ghz band DO NOT overlap for 20Mhz bandwidths.  If you can band steer (not a standard thing- some methods work better than others) or generally use 5G you  might have a better experience (it requires its own tuning).

I don't run a dedicated guest net at home but with the Unifi system I can do a guest network (with or without a portal and hard network exception rules).  VLANs could be used as well but in either case the most important thing is to get the physics right of your wifi network.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167