Paul Walker on 3 Jul 2017 18:58:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Write to Journaled HFS+ filesystem in Ubuntu

This worked perfectly, btw - thanks for the advice!!

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 10:42 PM, Rich Mingin (PLUG) <plug@frags.us> wrote:
I'm sorry if this was talked to death previously, but I just came across it while cleaning out old mails and didn't see any replies. As a Mac-friendly Linux user, I figured I'd throw out some suggestions.

I would not pursue writing to journaled HFS+ from Linux. I wouldn't pursue HFS+ in general much longer. Apple is pushing their next-gen APFS with the upcoming OSX release, and it's a good time to learn exfat.

Personally, I would resize the 4TB disk to a 2 partition layout (from OSX) and format the new one in exfat. Linux will R/W exfat without too much fuss, check your distro repos for exfat-utils, fuse-exfat, or similar. The fuse fs driver is pretty solid in my experience.

I would *not* repartition or format exfat from an OS other than OSX if possible. I don't remember the exact setting, but there's something like allocation unit size, and OSX is very particular about it. I formatted some USB drives with exfat last year, to maintain optimal multi-OS compatibility, and while Windows and Linux would gleefully read each others' exfat drives, OSX would throw tantrums at some and tell me they were unreadable. Formatting with OSX resulted in a disk everyone R/W'ed without fuss.

Hope this helped.

- Rich (the other one)