PaulNM on 6 Jul 2017 14:27:17 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Fios Quantum Gateway Router / Cabling type

That's a long standing policy of theirs. It's actually an all-in-one modem/router/wireless AP. I think Comcast may have started doing this as well, but could be wrong.

You have access to reconfigure it and disable the wireless and/or firewall portions. So while you have to have it as it's your modem, it's entirely possible to set it up as just a pass-through modem and have another device be your public facing interface.

Regarding cabling, it's been a few years since I've wired an office. Even back then, there wasn't much of a difference in cost between 5e and 6a, so we went with the later. It's better future-proofing. (Also, they did a lot of large video editing on shared network drives, so...)

- PaulNM