Rich Freeman on 8 Jul 2017 18:36:43 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Multimedia blues

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 7:56 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 15:42:38 -0400
> Floyd Johnson <fljohnson3@isp.com> wrote:
>
>> Have you any idea why even under Ubuntu Mate 16.04, FLV-compatible
>> video playing under Chrome or Firefox can occasionally cause the
>> whole OS to freeze, with the last part of a second of audio
>> repeating, forcing the user to do a hard reboot ?
>
> On many distros, Chromium is a pig. Chrome could be a pig with little
> surprises inside. On many distros, Firefox is a pig grown to elephant
> size.

Sure, but if a non-root application can make your console hang or your
computer freeze, there is a bug in your OS.  Whether the application
is "a pig" is beside the point.

Non-root processes shouldn't be able to DoS the system.

If you want to experience an eye-opener download the chromium tarball
and run du on the third party directory inside.  Those are all the
bundled libraries it wants to use instead of your distro-managed ones.
The current Gentoo build scripts keep about 100 of them and purge all
the rest.  Unfortunately they patch so many of them it is hard to
really build it cleanly.  I doubt any distro does much better on this
front, something that I've seen plenty of complaints about from
maintainers.

--
Rich