brent timothy saner on 9 Jul 2017 18:29:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Booting, UEFI, BIOS

On 07/09/2017 09:25 PM, Rich Mingin (PLUG) wrote:
> For some quick pedantry, if UEFI is an option at all, you *are* booting
> via UEFI. Legacy OSes and bootloaders are handled by the CSM
> (Compatibility Support Module). It's basically a UEFI program in the
> firmware that provides all the legacy firmware as a program.
>
> If you're coming in clean, with no previous experience, I'd vote
> strongly for UEFI. FreeBSD supports both, and equally well at this
> point, and UEFI has a future, legacy boot really doesn't.

(rich, i'm disappointed in you. top-posting? really? for shame!)

i definitely have to echo rich's sentiments, here. UEFI isn't the evil
monster a lot of people make it out to be. sure, it's not perfect, but
it definitely addresses a lot of issues that BIOS had (and i find it
incredibly easier to maintain/manage).