Charlie Li on 9 Jul 2017 18:43:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Booting, UEFI, BIOS

On 09/07/17 21:28, brent timothy saner wrote:
> On 07/09/2017 09:25 PM, Rich Mingin (PLUG) wrote:
>> For some quick pedantry, if UEFI is an option at all, you *are* booting
>> via UEFI. Legacy OSes and bootloaders are handled by the CSM
>> (Compatibility Support Module). It's basically a UEFI program in the
>> firmware that provides all the legacy firmware as a program.

This is exactly what I meant by "thin compatibility layer", just
couldn't remember what the exact term was.
> i definitely have to echo rich's sentiments, here. UEFI isn't the evil
> monster a lot of people make it out to be. sure, it's not perfect, but
> it definitely addresses a lot of issues that BIOS had (and i find it
> incredibly easier to maintain/manage).

I wholeheartedly agree. The only caveat is when the firmware is just
done horribly wrong where in the worst case scenario will only boot
Windows no matter how many times you change and save your BIOS settings
otherwise. LeRoy did not let us forget that. In a past machine of mine
(from 2012), neither efibootmgr nor EFI Shell 2.0 would work; I only
managed to manually add the boot entry for GRUB through EFI Shell 1.0.

The good news is that it sounds like George will not have to worry about
this caveat on his new Dell.

--
Charlie Li
Can't think of a witty .sigline today…

replace local-part with vishwin for off-list communication)