Thomas Delrue on 19 Jul 2017 16:24:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Open Source Option For Calendar Server

On 07/19/2017 03:45 PM, JP Vossen wrote:
> On 7/19/2017 12:12 PM, plug-request@lists.phillylinux.org wrote:
>> I was looking into hosting my own calendar server. The
>> requirements would be that it is hosted by me, and I would need to be
>> able to connect via my phone. I am looking at Baikal and DAViCal.
>
> What about OwnCloud?  Tons of Overkill, but that overkill might be quite
> handy if you want to get away from Google/cloud/etc.
>
> https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/user_manual/pim/calendar.html
> "The Calendar app is not enabled by default in ownCloud 9.0 and needs to
> be enabled seperately [sic]. It is also not a supported core app. It is
> currently under heavy development, ..."
>
> I've been wanting to try OwnCloud for a while but haven't had the free
> time.

You may want to consider nextCloud over ownCloud. NextCloud is a fork of
ownCloud by the (then-)ownCloud (now nextCloud-)core development team.
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nextcloud#History_of_the_fork:
---BEGIN---
On June 2, within 12 hours of the announcement of the fork, the American
entity "ownCloud Inc." announced that it is shutting down with immediate
effect, stating that "[…] main lenders in the US have cancelled our
credit. Following American law, we are forced to close the doors of
ownCloud, Inc. with immediate effect and terminate the contracts of 8
employees.". ownCloud Inc. accused Karlitschek of poaching developers,
while Nextcloud developers such as Arthur Schiwon stated that he
"decided to quit because not everything in the ownCloud Inc. company
world evolved as I imagined".[11]

Despite the fork's young age, the amount of Nextcloud contributions
quickly overtook ownCloud's numbers as can be seen by GitHub
statistics.[17][18] It has been compared multiple times with the fork of
OpenOffice, where engineers left the project to form LibreOffice.[11]

I run a nextCloud instance (migrated from ownCloud actually) and it's great!