Rich Kulawiec on 4 Aug 2017 04:54:47 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Firewall/security philosophy [was: SSH Hardening : Request for Best Practices]

On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 01:00:08PM -0400, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> Great rant. I read it over lunch. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome.  Two notes on it:

1. Marcus Ranum wrote that.  You may not know his name, but you know
the term "firewall" in part because of his work.  He's modestly
eschewed credit for it, but I think he played a key role.

2. If you are a CSO, one of the best ways to approach your job is:

	A. Read that rant over your Monday morning coffee.
	B. During the ensuing week, try very hard not to make any of
		those mistakes.
	C. Next Monday: return to step A.

If you manage (B), you'll be far ahead of your competition.  Which is
where you want to be...because you don't have to outrun the bear,
you just have to outrun *them*.

---rsk