brent timothy saner on 20 Sep 2017 21:02:43 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OT: iTerm2 Leaks Everything You Hover in Your Terminal via DNS Requests

On 09/20/2017 11:50 PM, Philip Rushik wrote:
(SNIP)
> will highlight every single file or path on the screen.

uhhh.. what?

'^(file|(ht|f)ps?|sock)://' (add more as you see fit; the ).

i mean, there's an RFC for this[0], y'know.

> The real question we should be asking is: Why would anybody want to
> click a link in their terminal emulator? The only time anybody needs to
> use a mouse in their terminal is to copy or paste, and having clickable
> links (that do what? open a browser? who would want that functionality?)
> would only impede that goal.

calling bullshit on this.

i click on links in my terminal all the time. between URLs referenced in
documentation for further documentation or to the upstream's website, my
IRC client (irssi), all the debugging for web scraping/parsing i do,
referers in web daemon logs... if you *aren't* taking advantage of a
terminal emulator that linkifies[1], you're doing it wrong.

[0] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986
[1] you know. without actually doing any lookups/pre-fetching/etc.