Ron Guilmet on 26 Sep 2017 12:01:10 -0700

[PLUG] LOAD AVERAGES & NAGIOS

I had some questions on load averages and Nagios, and the documentations is not very intuitive. My understanding of load averages is that they are in relation to the amount of CPUs a server has. For example, a load of 1.5 on a single core server means processes are beginning to queue up which can lead to slow performance, while a 1.5 load average on a 2 core machine processes are not queuing up.

So with that understanding, I need specific Nagios checks for different systems, correct?
For example, this check may alter me of a problem with one server, but other servers may go down without notice, right?

Load:
   Command: "/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_load -w  6,5,4 -c 10,8,6"
   Type: NRPE

Thanks Ron