Andy Wojnarek on 26 Sep 2017 16:00:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] LOAD AVERAGES & NAGIOS

Hey Ron,

What kind of workload is this? Rule of thumb is that your load average might be appropriate based on the type of workload you’re running. If response time is most important, you may want it no higher than 1 to 2 times the number of CPUs allocated to the host. If Job throughput is important, 3 to 4 times the number of CPUs may be sufficient to keep the processors busy – especially with hyper-threading.

Baseline your load average with some other type of metric at the application level (http response time for example) to determine what is appropriate.

So to answer your question, what number to alert on may be different for the different types of workloads you’re looking to monitor.

--

Andy Wojnarek