Steve Litt on 28 Sep 2017 14:38:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Reclaiming inodes

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 15:28:03 -0400
bergman@merctech.com wrote:

> In the message dated: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 15:13:37 -0400,
> The pithy ruminations from Rich Freeman on
> <Re: [PLUG] Reclaiming inodes> were:
> => On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 3:07 PM, Steve Litt

> => > If you have an SSD, frequently run fstrim on all your SSD
> partitions to => > reclaim deleted space. Doing so has many
> benefits.
>
> Um, depends on your definition of "frequently". According to the
> fstrim man page:
>
>        Running fstrim frequently, or even using mount -o discard,
> might negatively affect the lifetime of poor-quality SSD devices.
>        For most desktop and server systems a  sufficient  trimming
>        frequency is once a week.

Good to know. I use it about once a week because I'm too lazy to do it
daily. I do it manually because I want to make sure the computer has no
other heavy computing activities while I do fstrim. Call it
superstition, but that's how I do it.

> Note that not all devices support a
>        queued trim, so each trim command incurs a performance penalty
>        on whatever else might be trying to use the disk at the time.

I take a siesta while fstrim is running. It usually takes between 1 and
10 minutes (if I've forgotten to do it in the last couple months), so it
needn't be a long siesta.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2017 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr