George Zipperlen on 5 Oct 2017 17:08:46 -0700

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Central - Sound on Linux: JACK (Keith Perry) & Audacity (George Zipperlen)

Thank you everyone for their patience, we managed to more-or-less cobble
a presentation together in spite of my difficulties connecting audio and video...

I don't really have slides, but if MarkDown exported from Jupyter is palatable,
there's this:  The third slide condenses to "Add a pinch of FFmpeg and LAME to
your Audacity, simmer gently"

# Audacity
## FOSS cross-platform audio software
## for multi-track recording and editing
### Available for
* GNU/Linux (your favorite distro)
* Mac OS X, MacOS, whatever they call it next
* Windoze

### May also need FFmpeg library of codecs and/or LAME, more below

* Audacity uses the wxWidgets toolkit to provide similar graphical user interface on several different operating systems

* The interface shows your audio tracks with various controls with the appearance of an old analog recording system.

* I have used Audacity to import vinyl records and tapes from an existing analog home audio system

* It is easy to import one huge stereo blob and cut it into individual tracks.

* Basic controls are available
    * volume,
    * equalizer (bass/treble++),
    * balance (for stereo tracks)
    * plus fancier multi-track mixing,
* and advanced features like cross fading, effects, etc.

* copy, cut, paste, combine tracks...

* It is then possible to export to various formats.
* E.G. AIFF files which can be combined with metadata
* into an iso and burned to CD with dd

I could do an entire presentation on DRM, Copy Protection, and audio CDs that install **malware** when opened on a computer (non Linux (;-))

Sony effectively killed the CD as an audio format...

## Audio File Formats

There could be a whole presentation on audio formats, streams, containers, codecs (encoder/decoder)...

### TLDR: -- Get the FFmpeg library of audio (& video) codecs

#### Two different issues
- compressed versus uncompressed
    - losslesss versus lossy
- proprietary versus open formats

### It is best to work with uncompressed audio
#### - raw (l)pcm (linear) pulse code modulation : .raw, .WAV, .AIFF, .au, ...

### Lossless compression
#### There are lossless (generic) data compression techniques
#### - zip, gz, etc

#### - FLAC lossless combination of linear predictive coding and run-length coding
#### - (_Free Lossless Audio Compression_) gets you about 50% to 60% size compresion

###  lossy compression
#### - alaw/mulaw (_ancient low bitrate telephone audio_)
#### - Vorbis / ogg    (_FOSS_)
#### - MPEG / MP3  (_Proprietary psychoacoustic based_) 75% to 95%
#### - MP3 is still ubiquitous (WinAmp, Napster, Amazon, Walmart, Rhapsody...)
#### - AAC / mp4 - comparable compression to mp3, supposedly better sound quality
#### - AAC is used by iTunes / iThings, YouTube, Nokia, PlayStation...

### The FFmpeg Import/Export Library converts between formats

**FFmpeg** makes codecs available as
* library calls that can be called from  C/C++, Python, Perl...
* command line programs to run in a shell

#### Because of issues with some audio formats...  (patented compression algorithms)
#### Although, as of April 23, 2017 these patents have expired

You may still need the **LAME MP3** encoder

* on the Mac I had to manually find where the LAME installer placed the codec; and put it where FFmpeg expected to find it (bash, ls, find, cp...)