Lee H. Marzke on 8 Oct 2017 09:36:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Recommedations for laptop

One reason to stay with Thinkpads is the excellent trackpoint. I personally can't stand/use any trackpad.

You can get a used Thinkpad x230 tablet for about $250 right now on Ebay.
Non-gloss multi-touch touch screen, i7, quad core, 2.9GHz.

I bought one a few years ago,  and moved my 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD over from a previous
Thinkpad , and maxed the RAM out to 16GB and got new batteries.
Each battery runs about 4H,  so two will run you most of a day.

Most everything on the X230, including touchscreen and screen rotation, WiFi, BT, audio, works out of the box on Ubuntu 16.04,
so I'm happy with it.

Lee

From: "Tone Montone" <tonemontone@gmail.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 8, 2017 12:13:34 AM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Recommedations for laptop
Ron,
   Thank you for your reply.

   I actually have two IBM Thinkpad SL410s.  One runs Windows 10, which I use regularly.  And the other runs Centos with VMs via KVM; I liked the laptop so much I bought a used one from Amazon for $100, thqen maxed out the ram.  The first I purchased new when it came out.

   The only bad thing is the SL410s are heavy by today's standards, and their battery life is probably 2-3 hours.  I was looking for a light-weight laptop that I could take with me on the run, would last a long time.  I went to bestbuy and physically checked some out, but did not make any decisions.

    I was looking for a 15" screen, i5-quad core processor, light-weight, long battery life.  I don't like gloss screens, but it seems to be the norm.  I also don't like number pads on keyboard, which make the keyboard quite large.

    I liked the Dell XPS 15, but it looks so expensive I might as well by a Mac!.

    I really don't need a laptop, just wanted something to take with me for remote locations, sit and code, etc.  I may reduce my processor requirements and see what rises to the surface.  It will just run linux, and some light-weight programming tools.

Thanks,

Mike