Greg Helledy on 13 Oct 2017 10:44:59 -0700

[PLUG] Things to correct when copying over a filesystem with rsync?

As a followup to my posting from earlier in the week:
I decided to get us away from LVM by installing the OS on a new pair of drives (RAID-1), configuring everything identically, then bringing over other third-party software by copying the entire filesystem with rsync.

There are two partitions, /boot and /. No user software should be in /boot and copying that would surely screw things up so I just copied the other partition. One rookie mistake I made was failing to back up /etc/fstab, because of the UUIDs. So I used a rescue CD to go in and restore the correct values.

I can't think of anything else that would be similar: two installed OSes, identical in every way except for the hard drives they reside on. If you overwrite one with the other, are there any config files that refer to the hard drive hardware, not on the /boot partition, which will cause a problem?
--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated