Paul Walker on 22 Oct 2017 09:51:05 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
[PLUG] Securely destroy and responsibly recycling hardware
- From: Paul Walker <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [PLUG] Securely destroy and responsibly recycling hardware
- Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 12:50:56 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:sender:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=frwcOB7zh+KkHLv8QLICkUFZgqIpL6jj0ShK4gbBcog=; b=XxFj1csyNXElnyBPZg5dtg3Nvpd5E4+aCWG5eJFsjfLNRJgSNDs0MsqBIz1c7tyfJF /NlQmCTYrlR02CVQLVklhGB9+Vbie1YZfJ/0OKLglqll7kr6sP95A/1/qKAvdWRQoICi n7T/lbNAzB468NnCDfQcnRgenMlxzMwYo5+WH05KV4+9UjMXd4f8Abjul6qLfrvdfFkS BNTNOt5Z0ZApN+1ir6piSNmxtNI6DrLw4GumICz5sSX/DIzHNt+yWAW/SzNlqqSgMhCf JR3Gztg+ZS0b5fhhWiSAwzhJvt3Ou0tHAkZ78NWXsikNQ6q8nfzdH11zNLPektTZcW8L Ce9A==
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: "plug" <email@example.com>
Here's a gif of Elliot wiping all his gear - looks like he puts sd / ssd / memory in the microwave (I'm obviously not going to do that) and hits the hard disk platters with a cordless drill.
So, I have a couple questions:
1. Will microwaving memory or solid state storage actually render ALL data entirely irretrievable?
2. Same question for the spinny drives - will passing a drill bit through a hard drive actually render ALL data entirely irretrievable?
3. What is the non-Hollywood way to do this (render ALL data an physical media irretrievable)?
4. Once this is done, how do people recycle old electronics in the philly region?
Happy Sunday (doing some fall cleaning :)
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug