bergman on 23 Oct 2017 11:10:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Securely destroy and responsibly recycling hardware

In the message dated: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 12:50:56 -0400,
The pithy ruminations from Paul Walker on
<[PLUG] Securely destroy and responsibly recycling hardware> were:
=> Here's a gif of Elliot wiping all his gear - looks like he puts sd / ssd /
=> memory in the microwave (I'm obviously not going to do that) and hits the
=> hard disk platters with a cordless drill.
=>
=> https://i.imgur.com/WmRwjI3.gifv
=>
=> So, I have a couple questions:
=>
=> 1. Will microwaving memory or solid state storage actually render ALL data
=> entirely irretrievable?

Sure, if the fire lasts long enough. Another question to ask is:

	Will microwaving a substantial volume of memory or solid state
	storage actually render the microwave oven entirely unusable,
	possibly in a violent and spectacular manner?

=> 2. Same question for the spinny drives - will passing a drill bit through a
=> hard drive actually render ALL data entirely irretrievable?

Yes, for most practical purposes.

No. Not if you're concerned about three-letter-agencies or NASA.
	https://www.computerworld.com/article/2535754/data-center/shuttle-columbia-s-hard-drive-data-recovered-from-crash-site.html

I'm not in favor of drilling into drives -- the drive needs to be well
secured; a cordless drill isn't going to do many drives; you end up with
small sharp shards; drill bits wear out.

=> 3. What is the non-Hollywood way to do this (render ALL data an physical
=> media irretrievable)?

Personally, I like to use a hydraulic press, instead of power tools. Advantages are:
	less noise
	doesn't require power
	low-velocity == contained debris
	virtually no parts to wear out.

Something like:
	https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-7-2-Tons-Manual-Hydraulic-Hose-Crimper-Benchtop-Bottle-Jack-Press-Crimp-USA-/112613847806?hash=item1a384ef2fe:g:oYgAAOSwjvJZV0WZ
	https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a8/b7/8d/a8b78d115e94bec303e17b1f15fa07a8--machine-tools-cool-tools.jpg

I like to mount a small press or hydraulic jack horizontally inside an old
toolbox. Opposite the jack is a block of wood to raise the hard-drive to
align the axle with the jack, with space behind the center of the drive to
allow it to deform. A 2-ton jack is sufficient to punch the hard drive
spindle right through the case of a good 5 1/4" 'Enterprise' drive,
and smaller enclosures are trivial. At that point, all the platters are
bent or shattered and the controller electronics are ruined.

=> 4. Once this is done, how do people recycle old electronics in the philly
=> region?

Elemental:
	http://eleminc.com/

Mark

=>
=> Happy Sunday (doing some fall cleaning :)
=>