Paul Walker on 24 Oct 2017 15:41:02 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Securely destroy and responsibly recycling hardware

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 5:06 PM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Greg Helledy <gregsonh@gra-inc.com> wrote:

> We've talked about that on this list in the past, the fact that your
> best-encrypted files of today could plausibly be easy to read 20 years from
> now.

I'm skeptical of that claim.  Certainly the best technology we have
today isn't intended to be defeatable in 20 years.  Nobody can predict
breakthroughs of course but it definitely won't be brute-forced in
that time.

I imagine that strong encryption could be easily defeated by eventual breakthroughs in mathematics, or in quantum computing, neither of which I find hard to imagine.

In principal, though, I don't even put my junkmail in the recycling. I hold onto and burn it or shred it. I don't know what is in there, and I have no control over it once it drives away on the truck. You could consider this paranoia but I consider it simply good practice. Leave no trace, or as little as possible.