Rich Kulawiec on 27 Oct 2017 06:37:30 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Challenges with "The Unix Way"

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 02:37:01PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
> I thought that this article was a really interest contrast with "The
> Unix Way" and some of the ways it is mis-applied:

The Unix way (which is closely related to the "Software Tools" philosophy
espoused in the book of the same name) proved itself decades ago and
continues to do the same today.

That's not the problem.  The problem is that an awful lot of people
are writing code and creating systems that are just about the antithesis
of the Unix way while simultaneously claiming to be adhering to it.
This in turn leads to bloat, unreliability, security holes,
maintenance nightmares, lack of interoperability, lack of portability,
excessive complexity, excessive inter-dependence, and other issues.

Required background reading:

	Software Tools
	The Elements of Programming Style
	The Practice of Programming
	The Unix Programming Environment
	Every paper ever written by the Bell Labs folks

---rsk