John Kreno on 6 Nov 2017 10:14:41 -0800

Re: [PLUG] small business server virtualization?

Btw, KVM does support a number of windows os'

 -John

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 1:12 PM, Charlie Li <ml+PLUG@vishwin.info> wrote:
On 06/11/2017 13:11, Charlie Li wrote:
> On 06/11/2017 13:08, Greg Helledy wrote:
>> Can it make sense to virtualize so that each application has its own OS
>> instance, which can be powered on and off, upgraded, etc. independently,
>> for a small business?
>>
> If everything's running on the same hardware architecture, don't even
> bother with virtualisation. Too much overhead for not much benefit
> compared to, containers.
>
> Research systemd-nspawn, LXC, FreeBSD jails, Solaris Zones to name a few
> to get a sense of what containers are. They are logically the same as
> virtualisation in terms of instance separation.

Aaaaand I missed the part about Windows servers. Virtualise those. But
nothing else.

--
Charlie "still traversing the processing barrier" Li

replace local-part with vishwin for off-list communication)

John Kreno

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."

 Thomas Jefferson