Rich Freeman on 2 Jan 2018 12:31:55 -0800

Re: [PLUG] The mysterious case of the Linux Page Table Isolation patches

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 1:02 PM, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:
> If the speculation at
> http://pythonsweetness.tumblr.com/post/169166980422/the-mysterious-case-of-the-linux-page-table
> is correct, the details should be very interesting, and may have interesting
> consequences.

Looks like the rumors might be pushing up the embargo, unless it was
due anyway.  The fixes were just released in a couple of stable
kernels a few minutes ago.  I noticed that at least the 4.14 fix
doesn't include the AMD patch that disables the setting on AMD CPUs.
Only AMD knows for sure whether their CPUs are actually affected, but
AMD users might want to either delay updating, apply the patch
themselves to disable it on AMD, or disable it from the kernel command
line to avoid the performance hit.

I'm guessing now that the cat is mostly out of the bag we'll see an
official announcement fairly soon.  The Register also published an
article that mentions this coming Patch Tuesday, and that this is
already out in a Windows Beta for large users:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

--
Rich